Do you ever feel overwhelmed in trying to find out what God’s Word says about parenting?
Don’t try to learn everything all at once. Commit to reading God’s Word on a daily basis and learning something new every day. Ask God for wisdom, and He promises to give it (James 1:5).
Be encouraged and get some direction with these 15 things the Bible says about parenting…
- Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6 (NKJV)
- For whom the Lord loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights. Proverbs 3:21 (NKJV)
- “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children and shall talk of them when you sit in your house when you walk by the way when you lie down, and when you rise up. Deuteronomy 6:6-7 (NKJV)
- And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4 (NKJV)
- Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Psalm 127:3 (NKJV)
- Jesus grew in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and all the people. Luke 2:52 (NLT)
- “So commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these words of mine. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. 19 Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. Deuteronomy 11:18-19 (NLT)
- We will not hide them from their children, Telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord, And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done. Psalm 78:4 (NKJV)
- …Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, Who delights greatly in His commandments. His descendants will be mighty on earth; The generation of the upright will be blessed. Psalm 112:1-2 (NKJV)
- I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. 3 John 4 (NKJV)
- A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher. Luke 6:40 (NKJV)
- A wise son makes a glad father, But a foolish son is the grief of his mother. Proverbs 10:1 (NKJV)
- If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! Matthew 7:11 (NKJV)
- Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching, (9) for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck. Proverbs 1:8-9 (ESV)
- As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him. Psalm 103:13 (ESV)
ONE MORE WORD TO PARENTS
THE TAKE AWAY
God’s Word has a lot to say about parenting. God himself is the model father, and we should take our direction from His example. Commit to reading the Bible this week specifically to get more insight as a parent. Pick one of these scriptures or use a concordance (or app) to search more about the topic of parenting.
Make sure you also make time to read the bible with your children – no matter the age. Set the example of making God’s Word the guide to how you live and conduct yourselves in your family.