Did you know that life and death are in the power of the tongue?
That’s what God’s Word tells us in Proverbs 18:21.
Your words have power. Are you using them wisely?
Here’s a great rule of thumb that will help you in your marriage, your parenting, and your career — the rule is to think before you speak.
WHAT GOD’S WORD SAYS
1. Proverbs 15:2 (NKJ) The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, but the mouth of the fool pours forth foolishness.
2. Proverbs 15:28 (NKJ) The heart of the righteous studies how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours forth evil.
3. Proverbs 18:13 (NKJ) He who answers a matter before he hears it, it is folly and shame to him.
4. Proverbs 12:18 (NKJ) There is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword, but the tongue of the wise promotes health.
5. James 3:6 (NKJ) And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell.
6. James 3:8 (NKJ) But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
7. James 3:10 (NKJ) Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.
8. Romans 2:1 (NKJ) Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.
9. Ephesians 4:29 (NKJ) Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.
10. 1 Peter 3:10 (NKJ) He who would love life and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking deceit.
The Take Away
Today, commit to thinking before speaking. You have two ears and one mouth. Listen more than you talk and use your words wisely.