Make your resolutions stick this year, by anticipating the roadblocks, so they won’t stop you.
The definition of resolution is “a firm decision to do or not do something,” and a second definition is, “the action of solving a problem…”
In our effort to change our results in 2016, we will encounter roadblocks that can stop us if we don’t prepare for them by knowing what they are and what God’s Word says about them.
Here’s what they are…
THREE RESOLUTION ROADBLOCKS
1. Your Thoughts
For as he thinks in his heart, so is he… Prov. 23:7
What you think about is what you are going to start talking about and what you talk about is what you’ll (believe and) eventually act on.
Don’t take your old thinking into the new year. If you want to have God’s best in 2016, you have to get your thoughts in line with His Word.
WHAT GOD’S WORD SAYS:
- Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 2 Corinthians 10:5
- And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Philippians 4:8
- You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! Isaiah 26:3
- Find out what God’s Word says by reading it / studying it on a daily basis. If you don’t know what it says, you won’t know when your thoughts are out of line. // Think about the Word you’re studying and if you have thoughts that don’t line up. Stop them with the next roadblock: Words.
Remember: You don’t have to be a scholar to start or have the “special” kind of Bible. Get a Daily Walk or some Bible with a reading plan built in. Find an app. Find what works for you, but start today. Ask God to give you wisdom as you read.
2. Your Words
If you let your mind focus on something long enough, it’s going to your heart and out of your mouth.
Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits. Proverbs 18:21
Ask yourself this: Do I talk about my problems more than I pray about them? Do I speak negatively of others and my own circumstances?
If you’re not happy with your current situation, you need to change what’s coming out of your mouth.
Don’t bring old words into the new year or you’ll only get old results.
WHAT THE WORD SAYS:
- For the scriptures say, “If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies. 1 Peter 3:10
- Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. Ephesians 4:29
- Whoever covers an offense seeks love, but he who repeats a matter separates close friends. Proverbs 17:9
- As you begin to read God’s Word on a daily basis, make scripture cards for yourself so that you can speak it. It may not come naturally at first, but this is not an exercise in “positive” speech. There is power in God’s Word. It is how the world was created. // Start by finding out who you are in Christ and say that next time you want to complain – (Click to start reading who you are in Christ)
Joe explains how your words affect your thoughts and your actions:
3. Your Enemy
As much as it may seem like a person is your real enemy, it’s not. It’s not your spouse, it’s not your boss, it’s not the person who just cut you off in traffic, and it’s not your government.
There will be roadblocks to your resolutions, but don’t waste your time trying to fight a person.
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12
Our enemy is a thief, a killer, and a liar bent on destroying us. (John 10:10, 8:44)
WHAT GOD’S WORD SAYS:
- Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Ephesians 6:11-13
- For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, Colossians 1:13
- This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! 2 Corinthians 5:17
- If you haven’t accepted the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ – that is the important first step in overcoming your real enemy. (Click here to learn more about that gift.)
- Just like you get dressed in the morning each day, you need to put on the full armor of God consistently. Read more –
- Know that the battle has been already won by Jesus. You have to stand firm on God’s Word and His promises. Think on it. Speak it. And use God’s Word daily to thwart the plans of your real enemy.
Don’t have any resolutions? Looking for how to get a vision for your life?
THIS MONTH’S SPECIAL OFFER
For your gift of any amount to the Fighting for Families radio outreach, we’ll send you the NEW Family Finances DVD from Joe. It’s a laugh-and-learn seminar that will walk you through the four areas you need to know about to get your financial life in line with God’s Word. Plus, you’ll be helping us reach families with the message of hope restored through God’s Word.
FIGHTING FOR FAMILIES RADIO
Stop fighting with your family and start fighting for them.
We invite you to find a station or download our podcast today. Share it with someone who needs to be encouraged.